white bean burritos with mojo verde cilantro sauce







How's it going on your Vegan Challenge?  A few people have asked me why just one week?  It's one week to show you just how easy it is.  Also, when faced with a big change, sometimes breaking it down into smaller pieces makes it seem doable.  Have any of you watched Cowspiracy?  It's streaming on Netflix right now.  Once you see the destruction that animal agriculture is having on the earth you'll understand that changing our diets is going to have to happen regardless of whether we want to or not.  Watch the movie, you'll see what I'm talking about.

The above burrito is filled with refried white beans that are so simple to make.  I make mine from scratch but any can of beans will do.  In a skillet first saute a handful of onions and then add the beans. Add one cup of vegetable broth and smash the beans with a potato masher.  I add chopped jalapeno, salt and pepper. It's got to be one of the fastest, easiest and healthiest meals ever.

I happened to have had a large bunch of cilantro and wanted to make a sauce of some sort and came across the recipe of Jose Andre's.  All I can say about it is wow.  It has elevated my ordinary burrito into something quite spectacular.  I used a food processor but his recipe actually calls for a mortar and pestle.  I didn't have cumin seeds so I just used a teaspoon of ground cumin and it tastes fantastic.

Mojo Verde

Ingredients

6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups well-packed chopped cilantro leaves
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ cup Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons sherry-wine vinegar

Directions

Using a mortar and pestle, mash the garlic and salt to a smooth paste. Add cilantro leaves and cumin seeds; mash until well combined. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while continuing to mash, until all the olive oil is absorbed.
Turning the pestle in a slow, circular motion around the mortar, drizzle in 2 teaspoons water and vinegar. Keep at room temperature until ready to serve.
makes about ½ cup

I also have tried this sauce on plain pasta because it's so similar to pesto and it was amazing that way also.

x

19 comments

  1. Thanks, Janet! Burritos are a favorite of my husband and mine; we visit family regularly in Northern CA and can never quite replicate the burritos we have there - not for lack of trying. I have a big bunch of cilantro, so I am going to try making this sauce tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really LOVE when you post one of your recipes. It's one of my favorite features of your blog. Thank you, Janet! You always display the food so beautifully and, true chef that you are, the recipes are never overloaded with too many ingredients. My mom used tortillas as wraps even when I was a kid growing up SEVERAL (too many!) decades ago. She was influenced heavily in Southern California, from her own youth, by the wonderful cuisine of Mexico and a host of treasured Mexican neighbors and friends who generously shared their food and taught her how to cook. Oh, how I miss my mother's cooking! I've never been able to cook like Mom.

    OMG, we were inundated with rain up here in the north of you! Like going zero to 500. Seems El Nino has arrived with great drama and we have SNOW in the back-country already; AMAZING; has been SO LONG since I've seen snow on the mountains here. Even with all of our preemptive measures, we still had too much standing water on the property, so we're mulling that now...because 'they say' we're just at the beginning of what will be at least three much-needed wet months. Hope it helped your garden! The thunder for three hours (night before last) was impressive and had me jumping out of my booties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Went over to your i/gram to pick up on the other recipes you've been highlighting. Darling photo of your son & family; first Christmas in the new house!

      Delete
  3. SOUNDS DELICIOUS!
    Will give it a whirl.............

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the portobello mushroom dish on Tuesday . It was delicious .

    ReplyDelete
  5. The white bean burrito sounds fantastic.

    Janet is so right about "Cowspiracy." This groundbreaking documentary is a must see for everyone. Those who don't subscribe to Netflix can get it at http://www.cowspiracy.com/

    Here's a 1.5 minute taste of what's covered in the film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1z1taw6yNw

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love anything Mexican or Tex Mex and have found that it is surprisingly simple to make these dishes vegan. I can't wait to try this sauce!I too recommend others to watch this documentary. Very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man this sounds AMAZING! I love burritos, and am trying to gradually reduce the amount of meat I eat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm...sounds so good! I will have to try that for sure the next time I make Mexican. Thanks for sharing the recipe Janet!

    Linda
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great new take on a burrito! Have you seen the book "The Taco Cleanse?" I'm wanting it just for the recipes, because we eat lots and lots of plant based tacos/burritos in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doing great Janet, I want to mention that most people don't know that there is as much and more protein in pinto beans as a steak, so if one fears they can't be as healthy on vegan research will prove different. As for Emily mentioning the taco cleanse? Yes, very interesting that two scientist developed a perfect balance in the taco cleanse.

    The book is like only $10.00 a bargain for us thrifters.

    Your meal is one I will most defiantly fix.
    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love pesto and cilantro is one of our favourites...on our bean burritos I pile cilantro in the wrap and add chopped tomatoes and salsa but I am eager to try this new recipe...
    I will use garbanzo beans as they are already in our cupboard.
    Thank you Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good! I've never heard of making refried beans with white beans...can't wait to try.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beans = YUM! This would be something that I would def try. It looks beautiful too. Now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As a kid growing up we ate lots of beans...mainly because we didn't have much money. My parents were hard workers & provided the best they could. Now I realize my "poor" diet consisted mostly of vegetables & very little meat, so I can appreciate how healthy it was. I am still striving to eat healthy, but haven't committed to either vegetarian or vegan. But I find that in my quest to eat healthier, much of my diet consists of fresh vegetables, fruits & whole grains. I will definitely try this recipe...it looks delicious.

    I do have Netflix & I'm always looking for something good to watch. I will watch Cowspiracy as well as the movie you recommended on your last post. I watched the trailer & I thought it would be something that would appeal to me. Btw, loved your outfit & the story of your magical birthday dinner. Kudos to your friend for such a lovely gift! We all should have the experience of special treatment once in a while.

    Thank you, Janet, for covering a nice variety of subjects on your posts. That's one of the things I love about it.

    Anita ~ the cabin on the creek

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG!!! I read your blog since long time ago and what a surprise to me today to read a receipe with "mojo verde of cilantro". This sauce is typical from Canary Island, Spain, my birth place. We use to eat it with grilled fish and potatoes, but with burritos sounds perfect too.

    Here I attach some info about it: http://www.spain.info/en/que-quieres/gastronomia/productos/mojo.html

    I hope you can come some day to Canary Islands.

    xx
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  16. hello, janet!
    wondering what kind of white beans you like best for making these.
    i always do my beans from scratch - better & cheaper.
    ♥catie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi catie, i used navy beans. i cook mine from scratch too, so much better flavor! x

      Delete

kindness is never out of style.

Back to Top